Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Why my house isn't getting done

Davey and I returned from grocery shopping after dropping P & J off at school today and had the day ahead of us. He's always game for a bike ride, so we took off on the path to Simpson.

We fed tortillas to the geese at the pond. I always wanted a place to feed birds are old bread items and now we have one a five minute ride away! Davey thought it was hilarious when pieces would land on their backs.

We got to visit Trav in his office and see where the magic happens in the spiritual formations department at Simpson. It's such a good fit for him. He's excited to be here, he's starting to find his stride and get started on things. He's in a great place. He took some time out for a bit of play with Davey at Yaks coffeehouse on campus.


It took me about five to six minutes to drink my iced coffee, and it took Davey about thirty to drink his cocoa. The last five were me encouraging him to drink up so we could get going. I'm always in a hurry, want to tackle my "to do" list, get on to the next project, all so I can feel like I have something to show for my day. I've been trying to make a conscious effort to smell the roses with the kids, take our time and not rush, especially when we really don't have somewhere to be, to operate at their speed. It's a gratifying and challenging process for me!

When we got home Davey said in his best three year old lisp, "I had fun riding bikes with you Mama". Totally worth not doing anything on the house today!

5 comments:

cza said...

Sounds like a great day with Davey. Tell the kids we miss them a LOT (and their Mom & Dad)

Can't wait to get up to Redding and check out your new home. Sounds like Yak will be the "Scotts Valley Starbucks" for you guys in Redding.

Is Payton enjoying her sidewalks? We are so rural here, we may get sidewalks someday but no promises.

Mom

Elissa said...

Um... it occurs to me reading your blog today that Davey's name really should have started with a B... so you could have had a PB&J. I have the same trouble trying to stop and smell the roses with my kids - you are not alone in that!

Kari Q. said...

It is great to know I am not the only mom that struggles with putting my "to do" list (or "do something so i have something to show for my day" list) down and spend time playing! What is ironic is that the days when you accomplish nothing but spending quality time with your little ones are the most rewarding and fulfilling days. being a mom is quite a gift!

Dana said...

Oh Annette you are such a fun and good mom! I can't wait to see you sooooo soon!!!

Maybe we can go on a walk to Simpson together???

lynn said...

you are hilarious! funny things happen in your day with your kids and you are so good at just rolling with it! so glad that you see travis in his element. love it! miss you!!!