Sunday, September 28, 2008

Birthday Season

Our three kids' birthdays are within two weeks of each other. Davey is September 26, Payton the 27th, and Jonah is October 8. It's a crazy time, I sometimes fantasize about what it'd be like to have birthdays more spread out so each one could have lots of attention. We developed a tradition where each child gets a party every other year and on the off years they get a special family day together. It's Payton and Jonah's off year and Davey's year for a bash. His birthday party is on Monday night, but Payton's we did celebrate yesterday.

She requested a pirate themed day and wanted a treasure hunt to go on. So I bought the "treasure" and Trav planned an elaborate set of clues that they had to follow one to the next to find the buried treasure.
What's a treasure hunt without a real pirate to send you off? I LOVE my husband. I love that he raided my closet for jacket, wore it bare chested, and presented the treasure hunt complete with a thick pirate accent and swagger. I love that he also walked up down the street wearing this watching the kids on their quest. I love that the kids were completely delighted by their father's bizarre antics.

And another pic for good measure.

There was a lot of excited screams, squabbling over who got to read clues, and Davey trying to keep up the best he could in his cowboy boots.

It was so fun to see the excitement grow as they got closer and closer. I don't know who had more fun, the kids, or us watching them.

Finding the booty!

Incase you can't tell, Payton's cake is a pirate's "treasure chest". It was a true labor of love, somewhat funky looking, but Payton was still impressed. Yay for her great imagination!

One birthday down, two more to go!!

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

how fun is that, i love that the kids will look back on this & have great memories!

Becky Moseley said...

What a great idea to only have birthday parties every other year. Might have to borrow that one from you, since the thought of all those streamers and balloons every single year for every single child makes my head spin.

Alison McCabe said...

Payton, eight years old looks good on you! Happy Birthday all! Annette, watch out for that Fashion-starter Trav of yours. He has enough confidence to start a revolution.
Besos, Alison