Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Woes of Farting Knees


I volunteer on Wednesdays in Jonah and Payton's classrooms. Today Jonah did not want to do any of his work that I was helping oversee. He kept saying he was too tired, he just didn't want to do it, and then he kept tearing up and rubbing his eyes. I kept feeling his forehead thinking he was sick, but he wasn't and by the end of the hour my t-shirt was soaked with his tears and he was very distraught with a pile of unfinished work building up beside him.
It's not always easy to figure out what's going on in Jonah's head. He didn't want to talk about what was bothering him. I was at a loss what to do! I didn't find out till the end of the hour that earlier this morning Jonah got a "card change" from green to yellow, and he was mortified. As crazy as he can get at home he works hard to be spot on for his teacher whom he loves and he was so embarrassed to get a reprimand. It turns out he got it for making the backs of his knees "fart" with his hands:), a new trick he only recently mastered. He did it a few times in class, got a warning, did it again, and then got the card change.
His teacher chatted with him and encouraged him and he rallied and finished his work. It was so sad to watch him hurt and struggle, but so sweet that it was b/c he wanted to do the right thing so bad! I love his teacher and I'm so grateful God gave her to Jonah for his kindergarten year. She's tender and meets him where he's at, but also firm. I wish I had totally just described myself as his mother just now! Jonah and I are constantly evolving in our relationship, he is my greatest teacher. I love my boy.

1 comment:

Erica said...

I would have laughed if my son told me that. Farting knees hilarious. Poor Jonah he was probably a hit in kid world. If only kid world counted in the classroom.