Monday, September 8, 2008

my new favorite


I'm sitting at Starbucks with my green tea latte and lucky for me, they came around with samples, one being a red velvet cupcake. YUM!!! I've never tried it before and I have to say wow. It's right up there with princess cake from Gayle's bakery in Capitola which has held #1 for the last 10-15 years. I've got to introduce this to Arden, my fellow cake afficiondo. Did I use afficiondo properly? I just like how it sounded.

So I have Mon and Fri mornings to myself now with Davey in preschool. At first it was so discombobulating. I mean, it was what I've waited for these last eight years of mothering, regular scheduled time alone w/out having to depend on anyone to give it to me. It's finally here, and it feels uncomfortable, weird, and even a bit indulgent. I felt immediately like, ok so maybe I should get a job for two hours every mon and fri morning so I can do something productive with my time, contribute and stuff. I feel somewhat guilty doing something just for me. It's the curse of every mother I think, it feels wrong to prioritize yourself. But I've decided that I'm going to take my mon and fri's and do whatever I felt like that day and try NOT to do anything productive. So far I've found myself at Starbucks mostly emailing, studying, and reading. It's a bit of heaven on earth, this time alone. I love it, I've earned it, I'm claiming it. There, I've said it. Viva freedom!!!

2 comments:

Erica said...

Amen sister. You do deserve it. At this time in my life I can't even imagine. Even to blog I have whining kids on my legs. So please for me be as child free and mindless as you can and I will live vicariously through you.

Candace said...

It was great to meet you yesterday! I'm glad that you will be with us now.

I'm also glad that you are enjoying your alone time. I know what you mean about feeling guilty about it. Good for you for soaking it up! You've earned it.