Monday, October 15, 2007

Our rainy day venture

Today my sister and I drove up the coast a few miles to a pumpkin farm off of HWY 1. It started sprinkling as we pulled out of the driveway, and we took a vote whether or not we should go for our squash in the rain. Payton and Jonah voted yes, Davey no, but he had just been woken up from his nap so it negated his vote. So we went for it in the rain with no regrets!
They had a corn maze that the kids ran through and Payton and Jonah peed on (separately). It was either that or find our way out to use a port-a-potty, and if you all know Payton you'd rather gamble on the immediate option. Everytime the kids saw a corn cob on the ground they'd say, "Eww!" Vegetables are so foreign to them!

These were my favorite pumpkins out of the 20 different kinds they had there. They're called La Rouge, and I indulged in one that now graces are front doorstep.


The highlight for Jonah was pulling a wagon round and round trying to pick up any pumpkin he liked. Whenever we'd tell him no, he'd just drop it flat on the ground or toss it over his shoulder depending on how big it was. This must've happened at least 15x. He likes to keep it real.




My sister LOVES brussel sprouts, which are like the only vegetable I won't eat. Who knew they grew on stalks like this? She was excited to go home and cook 'em up. She shared her "collared greens" with me yesterday which I actually didn't mind. She's a faithful farmer's market shopper and a very healthy cook. Trav would starve in her house.





I loved all the different kinds of pumpkins, they were so pretty! It was fun to get pumpkins at a ranch that overlooked the ocean with the rain coming down, it truly felt like Fall. All my pictures from pumpkin patches past in Riverside we are wearing tank tops and shorts and usually quite sweaty. Today we tumbled in to the car mud covered, giggly, and with flushed cheeks, sometimes change has it's upsides!






4 comments:

Penny Lane said...

I never knew there we so many pumpkin options. Down here we just have the monstrous yellow-orange ones. I'm on a search for one like yours. It'd be perfect for the Hello Kitty I want to carve this year. :]

Alyssa said...

That looks so fun, I am sure we will have all of those choices here at our pumpkin patch in orangecrest! Remember last year Zeke and Jonah just hung out by the gate trying to get out and escape! Good times

La Rodriga said...

I love real pumpkin patches. I thought that's all there were until coming to Riverside. The make shift field in the middle of a vacant lot with bouncy toys and rides just doesn't quite do it for me :)
You've inspired me to go get some pumpkins. I'm not much of a holiday decorator. Jess puts me to shame!

Old Skool said...

The one thing I miss about the pumpkin patches in SoCal is the Inflatable Sinking Titanic Slide...what better way to remember a tragedy than to make it into a fun activity for the kids.