Thursday, October 18, 2007



Hey kids, so this Sunday is our first with our new youth group that we are leading here at our church. We haven't been on a Sunday yet and our very first Sunday Trav is in charge and leading the study. It's very exciting and a little intimidating. We haven't met most of the students and aren't quite certain what a Sunday looks like for them, how they interact and respond to teaching, etc. Trav is a little nervous but mostly positive about our first day. It's his gift, I envy it. I like to think of all the bad things that COULD happen so we're prepared and quite often I miss out on the joy to be had in what we are doing.

It's such a new experience in every way. Trav was hired right out of college by the Grove, his home church and we stayed for 11 years. We've never had to make our way in a brand new church with brand new people. I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to think or feel about being in a new church. Trav is having a meeting with one of the pastors down at church this afternoon to go over stuff. He's a very nice man, but I don't know him. I knew everyone that Trav worked with for the most part and when he talked about his day I was invested in the people he shared about. Here I'm just learning about people, I don't know them yet. I feel very tired and anxious at the prospect of becoming more engrossed in this new community. It just came second nature before and now it's almost all effort. It's a hard switch.

I do remember my first few years at the Grove and feeling homesick and out of place as I was making friends and getting established. It took time, it wasn't instantaneous. I take comfort in that and know that this too will become home eventually. One day, I might look around and realize, this feels normal, it's home. It just might not be tomorrow or Sunday.

On that note, I'm excited to meet some students and finally put some faces with names and start some relationships. I know once I dive in I will be more invested and anticipating what our role will be with these students. Truly, it is a privelage and very humbling to be a part of their lives and hopefully point them towards Jesus and walk part of their journey with them.

We covet your prayers.

I miss our Overflow kids.

2 comments:

Penny Lane said...

I'm so excited for you guys to be back in ministry! It's where you belong and the kids up there are so blessed to have you and Trav as it's leaders! You guys are amazing! I can't wait to hear/read about how it goes. Have fun!

jess mac said...

I have been on the church site and am soooo jealous. I actually looked at the Santa Cruz community and housing. I called Adam and said-you wanna move? Of course he said no, but...secretly call me if a they need an arts guy. Maybe I could convince him... :)