This could be a long one kids. Most of the time I feel good about are move, ok with leaving dear friends and making new ones etc, but sometimes it hits me afresh how much we left behind and I go through a rough patch. This is one of those times.
I was calmly eating my oatmeal wrapped up in my big quilt with pictures from the overflow all over it when the picture with Payton, Jonah, and Katie Boone sitting on the side of the pool at summer camp '06 caught my eye and I just lost it, for like an hour. I was reminded again of the community of friends and families we were a part of and have said goodbye to and it just sucks. I miss it terribly, there I'm crying again. I miss all the crazy summers of us girls bringing all our kids to summer camp and watching them grow up together, I miss friends like Sam and Stacey, who left Jonah's writing on the walls of their home for months b/c it was a sweet reminder for them, I miss that Jonah and Zeke, who have come so far and grown so much, don't get to grow together anymore, I miss pumpkin carving at the McIntyres and walking into a house full of friends that we love and having it feel like home, I miss that another new baby has been born and I don't get to meet her for awhile yet. The friends and families I thought we'd be raising our kids with are simply not to be anymore and I'm grieving it all over again. It is a messy business, this moving, saying goodbye to dear friends, and making new ones. I don't like it.
Perhaps all this is brought up so strongly again b/c we are being considered to lead the youth group at our church in a volunteer position as they are inbetween youth pastors. We are so excited for this opportunity and would be thrilled to help out, but I feel like I'm having to let go of the ministry and students and life we loved in Riverside in order to embrace this new one. It's new leaders, new kids that haven't even met us, it's a scary prospect in some ways. I'd give anything to have just one of our amazing overflow leaders here with us to partner with. It's amazing how having just one person who knows you and believes in you can just boost your confidence. I guess Trav and I will just have to be that for each other! They are also looking at a few other people so hopefully we'll know in a week or so if we will be heading it up. We are very restful in the outcome whatever it may be. God knows what this group of students needs, maybe it will be us, but if not, we are perfecting the art of waiting on God's direction in our lives. Before this opportunity came up we had concluded that God had called us here to Felton and we just hadn't felt released to leave yet, despite some great offers we had received to go elsewhere. So we are content to stay and be faithful here till God says otherwise. Pray for us, we'll keep you updated.
3 comments:
love you and miss you.
while i can definitely empathize with the hurt you are going through as a result of missing your friends and family, i can definitely say with confidence that you and trav will thrive anywhere you are planted!
i can only imagine how scary it must be to enter into new surroundings but good thing that God has been preparing everything ahead of time, yes?
and ditto what alyssa said.
you and trav have been on my mind a lot lately. im happy to at least be able to see your faces via blogland. :)
I cried too. I miss you, I miss Em, and now I'm going to have to miss Alyssa. Even those of us who didn't move are having to make new friends. Stinky.
Post a Comment