Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Dismembering myself



Today was the big day I was volunteering in Payton's class. When I broke the news to her she seriously responded with a Debbie Downer, "Wah Wah Wahhhh" without missing a beat! Where does she learn this stuff? After trying to deter me with giving me the wrong room number, she finally gave in and said, "room 14".
I show up on time and received my task of cutting 200 1/2 in. size strips of paper in the workroom (this was great for Payton b/c she didn't even have to see me!) I was using one of the "guillotine" paper cutters. I was 10 strips away from being done and I completely come down on my finger with the blade and slice it open!
There was blood everywhere, and I couldn't even look at it, I just held my finger and spun around in the room looking for something, anything, I don't know what. There was a repair man in the room with me who was no help at all, just stared with a blank expression, couldn't even open the door for me. So I open it with my elbows and stumble into the hall, find a bathroom, get paper towels, and go into the school office, tears streaming down my face holding my bloodied hand.
The ladies were great and fussed over me which always makes me cry more. As soon as I get any sympathy I get more hysterical. People should just treat me coldly and indifferently, like the repair man. I refused to look at it, I just let them do everything and they told me it was going to need stitches. I was just freaking out thinking "am I losing the tip of my finger? am I now going to be the funky girl with the story of how I chopped off my own finger?" I couldn't bear to look.
I called Trav to come get me (fresh tears) b/c I was afraid I'd pass out. I cannot handle blood, mostly my own. He promptly went to Jonah's school to get me instead of Payton's. After sorting it all out, we arrived at the doctor. They cleaned it and offered for me to look at it again. Instead I chose to lay down. I cut it in a curved away across my nail and finger tip but it could be glued which is what they did. Literally, they used household super glue! Amazing! My finger and nail will look funky for awhile, but it should heal eventually.
It's throbby and warm, so I'm always just holding it up. I'm supposed to baby it for three days so I don't re-open it (sick!). So no dishes or major stuff for me, hey, I can't even put folded laundry away without it taking forever. So I'm taking my day pass and I'm watching a movie tonight with a cup of tea while Trav's working, and I've saved all the dishes for him.:) I've typed this whole blog without using my left pointer. You never realize how important all your digits are till you chop one and it gets taken away...

6 comments:

lovemyguys said...

Urk, urk. That's pretty nast. But, thanks for sharing! :)

Alyssa said...

What was up with the repair man he couldn't even open the door for you? I hate when people care and make you cry more, I am the same way! I am glad you didn't loose a finger! Also glad it didn't happen in Payton's class because she probably would have been ticked off at you even more!

Anonymous said...

I want to know if Adam fainted as he read this post? Looking forward to seeing you guys today.

escamillaweddings said...

ohhhh ouch!!!!!

Sara Anthony said...

That picture of your finger is powerful.

Sara: said...

hi annette! its sara vanni. i have no idea how else to say hello to you so i'm doing it through here : ) how are you doing?! well i see your finger is in pain : ( how is everything with the church you guys are helping at? that is so awesome that god has let you both into ministry again: ) well hope to hear from you soon! so much love, sara