So, if you've read Trav's blog, you know that we have currently been asked to lead the youth group here at our church in a volunteer position through January. We are really thrilled, honored, and cautiously excited to get involved with the students here. We met together with two of the pastors on staff to talk a little more about the details and what they're hoping for and what Trav and I are hoping for and I left feeling excited, hopeful, and of course a little overwhelmed at the task before us.
I had to leave the meeting early to pick up the kids from my mom's and Trav stayed for youth group tonight so I'm anxious to hear how it went and what he thinks! So here's my speel(sp?) and why it's not about me. I say that I'm all for part time church positions and also working another part time job in the community, but now that it's here, I struggle with the sacrifice of time and money to our family. I say that I'm all for a "simpler" existence, but what if this arrangement entails us continuing to live in this tiny space at my parents' house for a number of years, not just for a "sabbatical" year b/c we can't afford a place of our own. Am I for simpler living now? And with a great attitude? Am I all talk, or do I truly have faith in the one Great Provider that he knows our needs and his provision and timing are perfect?
My life isn't about me and my comfort and my security in physical provision, and yet when we are given this opportunity to serve, my first thoughts immediately all go to me, my family, how it will impact us, what about living on our own again, blah, blah, blah. Of course you have to think about family and make plans, but am I laying my family and those plans on the altar before God and asking him to direct? Am I willing to follow where he's directing if it's mirky and unsure? I just want to snatch it all back and have my ducks in a row you know? Sometimes you construct these dreams of what you think your life should look like and it doesn't always turn out that way, but perhaps they weren't God's dreams for you anyway. Living out your faith and letting go is just really hard sometimes.
4 comments:
Sounds to me like you have your first lesson plan for those incredibly lucky students! And think of the lesson you are teaching your own kiddies: total dependence, even when (no... ESPECIALLY when)you're scared. Hang on to your Daddy's hand, girl.
I am so excited for this new craziness in your life, change is so hard but I love that it brings something new and fresh. We are praying, miss you. p.s. I need some annie time, Christmas can't come soon enough!
I echo alyssa. We can't wait to host the new years eve party and have us all together! I am praying for you guys. You should listen to the podcast of Becky White's sermon last week. It is awesome and totally this post.
Openness and honesty before the whole world (or at least the blogging one) is scarce. I found some peace and comfort this week in my quiet time when reading Psalm 34. Especially verse 4. It's nice to have a God we can approach in a personal way.
And, yes, the podcast of the sermon from last weekend might bless you.
Post a Comment