Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Some Wow insight from Payton


I love this picture of Payton from our camping trip last summer. Monday night she came out and plopped herself down on the couch with me, Trav, and my sister Vicki and tearfully told us of a joke gone wrong amongst some friends at school. It involved the old saying, "Boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider and girls go to Mars to get more candy bars." She and her girlfriend and three boys were switching the planets each sex was supposed to go to until it got ugly and it ended with her calling the boys "freaks":). She was so sad and upset and said she wanted to move back to her old school.
We talked it out and how she could make it right again by apologizing and then she said something so profound about the boys accepting an apology, "I think in their hearts they would want to be nice, but when they are with each other they don't act that way." It was such a wow moment for us! She's only eight and she's already starting to get the inner workings of how people think and react and how their friends influence it. It was so great to be able to talk so indepthly with her on how to solve the problem.
We prayed her up, prepped her up, and sent her off to school Tuesday ready to approach the boys. We were all anxious to hear how it went! Thankfully, she came home with a good report that the boys were all very nice and everything is back to normal. I asked her how it felt when she was apologizing b/c she said it was going to be so embarrassing and she said, "It felt great!" I'm so proud of how she handled herself, but I know this will just be one of many more teachable moments for her.
Jonah brought home his own "moment" Tuesday afternoon as he proudly announced he got his card changed from green to yellow as a warning at school. I asked him how he felt and he said with a big smile, "Fine!". What happened to the tears and heartbreak over getting in trouble with his teacher? He assured me with, "Don't worry mom, tomorrow my card's green again and I won't get it changed!" We'll see if that was true when he gets home today.

1 comment:

Dana said...

what a great story annette. Your daughter is one wise little cookie! So proud of her...

You are a great mom!