Friday, October 17, 2008

Memory Triggers

I've been volunteering at my kids' school and whenever I go to the bathroom, there is a super strong cleaning smell that takes me back to my childhood. It's kind of a weird, sweet smell. It was driving me crazy b/c I couldn't think specifically what it was reminding me of!
Last night I was telling my kids their bed time stories. They've started this tradition that Trav or I need to tell three stories from our lives before bed, 1-Where we got hurt, 1-we got injured, and lastly, 1-that is funny. It is getting increasingly difficult to come up with stories that fit these categories, especially since Trav got in trouble a total of maybe 3x in his life, and I'm not joking! He makes me look like the poster child for a troubled kid in comparison.
Anyhoo, I told them the story of when I was in third grade and I felt like I was going to throw up at school. I ran to the bathroom only to find it locked so I puked all over the ground right in front of the door. Humiliating for an eight year old. And then it hit me, the smell I was remembering is that crazy powder stuff they would sprinkle on messes at school! I distinctly remember my fresh pile of ickiness being covered with the smelly cleaner.

I know this is sort of a gross story, but I'm just so stoked I figured out my memory puzzle! I can go forward with my day now.

No comments: