Here comes the dilemma. I am so excited to paint and make our home "us", but the choices! I wish I had like twelve colors to choose from instead of 12,000. I am overwhelmed by the possibilities and just want someone to decide for me. I've had some hits and misses over the years with my color choices, and I just want to hit it right the first time and not have to paint again. I seem to be gravitating towards some "cool" colors, greens, blues, grays, some purples. I don't know if this is reflective of my new, sober, reflective self. Where is my fire and warmth? We're always evolving, perhaps I'll get some of it back.

These are some options I'm considering for the boys' room. I'd like to go a bit bolder with them. Any thoughts? Please weigh in. Trav keeps telling me to "set the easy set" with every decision I make now, which is nice, not risky, and good advice for me who can be high strung. But then I find myself surrounded with the mediocre all the time. Mediocre cooking, mediocre paint colors, etc, etc. Sometimes you just have to make a statement.

Payton's room will be the hardest by far. She is very particular in her tastes. She wants a green and brown room, and I'm talking primary colors. I try to show her some complimentary greens/browns that are lighter shades, but she wrinkles her nose at them and insists on these bright dark colors. I want to just paint what I know will look good, but I've also crossed her enough to know that I will pay dearly if she does not like it. I don't know if there's any compromise to be had with her. I'm so nervous.
We have a week till we close, the paint choices will be made, and I put them on the walls. What a long week it will be!
7 comments:
I did the same thing Payton's doing when I was younger. I was determined to have yellow walls. Not pastel sunshine yellow. No I wanted bright "cheerful" yellow. She warned me over and over that I'd hate it, but I was set in my ways. So she let me paint it bright yellow. And in about 2 hours, if that, I realized the error of my ways. Then we tried the color that was like 10 shades lighter, that my mom had picked, and it was perfect.
I say you let her paint it green and brown and then hope that she hates it and lets you pick. It could backfire, but it might be worth the risk.
BTW, I miss you terribly! Are you going to Brittany Thomsen's wedding in May? Email me, cameb6@aol.com
I am so excited for you, a home, that is such an amazing thing. Your story about paint and Payton reminded me of a book I just listened to. In "The Last Lecture" the author speaks about how wonderful it was that his parents allowed him to imagine and paint his own room. It made an imprint on him for life. Who knows what will come of it. Have fun with the move :-)
oooh...I love painting! I have a few faves from our house in GA I think I'd use again. I can't wait to see pictures of the finished products.
You have so many posts since I was able to last escape to blog land :) I love them all. How much does the tooth fairy leave? Almost everyday Emory says when she's five she'll be big and lose her teeth.
How fun to have friends and sis visit, take a trip to Napa, etc! You lead a fun life!
I'm loving the orange shades for the boys' room. They are softer & not so "stressful" as the bright red/blue.
I don't know... I have a different opinion about the Payton room... sometimes she's just gotta listen to her mom! It's her room, but who is going to do the work to paint it? & if she were to be dissatisfied with the intense 70's colors she is leaning towards, who will need to repaint it? You're a busy woman, Annie... I say nip this one in the bud & teach her about compromise.
:)
Annie, I feel your pain. I'm a bit overwhelmed by proxy. Hey, did Payton fall for the "all the brown in rain forests is covered by green" ruse? Green plants, blue sky. Still could be pretty bad. Kids don't understand muted tones. They're dangerous that way.
oh my have I done some painting in the last year...two whole houses worth top to bottom!!! So with much experience, I can tell you that we have used an orange in our house both times and LOVE it (my favorite color by far). Its a Behr color (I can get you the name). It is a bit intimidating when you start putting it on the walls, but once all the furniture is in you stand back and just feel happy! We actually stole the color from Steve and Karen.
Maybe with Payton you could try to find her bedding or some accessories that she likes that would compliment a bit of a calmer brown and green color.
I recommend using behr paint from home depot...I tried both the Lowes brand and that and preferred behr. I found some of my colors from the Martha Stewart collection (like the ones you picked for the boys rooms) and then just had them color match them at home depot.
Congrats on the house and happy painting!!!
Annie,
I feel your pain! I am horrible at paint colors, as demonstrated by the fact that we have lived in this house almost 10 years and I have white walls. The only room ever done was Chelsey's in Jr High. That was all Sarah Macek's doing, she helped me pick and paint and we were done in a day! Now I am trying to do 3 bedrooms before the baby comes, all while on bedrest! I can't pick colors in the paint store, much less laying on the couch!! Chelsey's new room is done, now onto Grahams and then Ashley and Ian's! My thoughts are with you!
Post a Comment