Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Skating with the fam

I'm LOVING this stage of parenting when the kids are old enough to do stuff independantly but young enough to still want to do it with us. I have no idea how much time we've got left in this stage but I want to soak it up while it's good! We took the kids roller skating for the first time last Saturday with my sister Vicki and it was a hit. I haven't laughed so hard in such a long time. We rolled to the sounds of Alvin and the Chipmunks, Miley Cyrus, and the Jonas Brothers, I felt like I was ten again.

Davey by far stole the show. He could not go more than two feet without falling, I was so afraid for him, but he was laughing and smiling the WHOLE time! He never got frustrated or wanted to give up. It's tricky to skate with someone so unskilled and unpredictable as Davey. Vicki and I were doing our best not to fall while holding his hands because once you're in motion it's hard to stop... so Davey got dragged on his knees and sideways a few times by us while we were almost peeing our pants b/c we couldn't stop laughing. It was insane fun.

This is how Davey spent most of his time.

Jonah was a champ, he's very determined in anything he tries and he got pretty smooth by the end of our session. When he would fall though, it was always very dramatic and he would lay all splayed out so everyone would notice and then make a big show of getting back up. He cracks me up! Trav skated by him hotdogging and doing some fancy skate steps which Jonah immediately tried to emulate. He loves his daddy. I tried to skate by him a few times, but he would get stressed and yell, "Just leave me alone Mama!!!" He's very independant.

Payton was the smoothest of all of us. She would stop for any kid that fell to make sure they were ok and help them back up. She had five new best friends by the time we left.

Trav and I were bummed there was no couple skate or shoot the duck contest, but I think we're definitely down for another skate date soon, we're hooked!

1 comment:

lynn said...

how fun! memories memories.