Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Word

A few years ago, a dear friend gave me this rewording of Romans 8:38-39 at a time when I felt a bit abandoned by God. I knew He saw me, I knew He heard my heart, but He was SO quiet. It was painful, and my frustration was turning into anger. My friend heard me out and simply replied, "Yes Annette, but He loves you so much." It was just a few words, but immediately I felt my anger start to melt a bit and peace begin to replace it.
A few days later, my friend emailed me this passage, and I've turned to it so many times as a calm reminder that I am in the hands of the One who loves me most, no matter what. I hope it may offer you a bit of encouragement and peace if you have need today, or maybe tuck it away for a rainy day.

"God, I may fall flat on my face; I may fail until I feel old and beaten and done in. Yet your love for me is changeless. All the music may go out of my life, my private world may shatter to dust. Even so, You will hold me in the palm of your steady hand. No turn in affairs of my fractured life can baffle You. Satan with all his braggadocio cannot distract You. Nothing can separate me from your measureless love- pain can't, disappointment can't, anguish can't. Yesterday, today, tomorrow can't. The loss of my dearest love can't. Death can't. Life can't. Riots, war, insanity, unidentity, hunger, neurosis, disease - none of these things nor all of them heaped together can budge the fact that I am dearly loved, completely forgiven, forever free through Jesus Christ your beloved son."

Romans 8:38-39

2 comments:

Steve, Karen, Delaney, & Jude Dunlap said...

yep, I needed that. Thank you.

Dana said...

Oh man that was needed! I was just now catching up on your blog & so glad you posted this. Thank you Annette!