Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Latest in our bag of Allergy Tricks

As most of you know, Heavy D and Jonah have been at the mercy of their allergies and asthma for most of the duration of their short lives. I am always in hot pursuit of health for my boys sans medication if at all possible. It's been a journey to say the least! We have them under terrific chiropractic care, they're both on homeopathic constitutions, we have an air purifier in their room, laminate throughout the house, and mattress/pillow allergy covers. Am I leaving anything out?

Our first spring here in Redding proved to be a big challenge for both boys. New home, new trees and plants to be exposed to, new issues. Davey's allergies went straight to an asthma cough and tight chest. Jonah's went to his eyes and his face. Everything swelled up, and he had a bit of a wheeze. We put the boys on Singulair. It did nothing for Davey, but Jonah responded really well. Bummer for Daves.

Anyhoo, flash forward a year, and a friend of mine says she has suffered major allergies her whole life, and neti potted herself through last spring every day, and needed medication only once! I was intrigued. It made sense. Wash the allergens out of your schnoz each night before they start infiltrating your body, and you don't suffer. For those who don't know, a neti pot is a little pot you use to pour saline solution in one nostril, and it pours out the other. It's not fun, it's weird, but it works. I've used it for colds, and even Trav's been a neti potting fool as of late.

Could I possibly get my five and seven year old to neti? No way. BUT they do have saline nose spray! I started spraying out their noses every night at the end of January and they have been FABULOUS this season. We are at the end of March, the oaks are blooming, and we're still ok without medication! I slacked off for 3-4 days one weekend and Davey's asthma cough came back, but a day or two after spraying with saline again he was good to go. They both wake up with a little stuffiness in the mornings, but they shake it off by the time they're up and moving. If that's the worst of our allergy woes this season, we'll take it.
So my friends, if you have kids with allergies, or you have bad allergies, give it a shot! I can't tell you how stoked I am on this stuff. After years of trying to figure out their allergy/asthma issues, it's amazing to see my boys thriving and not needing their inhalers!

1 comment:

Sara Anthony said...

Excellent news! I am going to get saline spray for Christian this season... & a neti pot for me :)