I asked her if she wanted to go, she said no. I told her she had to go, she said no. I insisted about five times which I normally wouldn't do. I hate to be pushy, especially when trying to get my daughter to do something with me. I was just about to let it rest on that fifth try when she finally heaved a big sigh and put her tennis shoes on.
We headed out on the McConnell trails holding hands, walking in silence, and in less than five minutes the trails worked their magic. Payton opened up first with apologizing for how she reacted to me. Wow! I was amazed by her maturity and how she articulated her thoughts. She shared her worries that maybe I didn't like that she was a "collector" (she found the cylinders in a garbage can at school). I got to reassure her that I think it's amazing what she finds and creates, and that indeed, I was a collector too when I was her age. She loved hearing that I drove my own mom crazy with my pack rat ways.
We walked for an hour, holding hands the whole time, they were totally sweaty, but no way was I letting go unless she did first. It was precious for me, this time with my daughter, this hour, just the two of us, talking about important stuff and nothing in particular. I was so glad I got a little pushy with her on taking this walk. We needed it.
And thank you McConnell trails for providing the atmosphere.
4 comments:
Annette... walks like that will be the foundation of her world one day...
I'm glad you didn't give up ;)
I love that Payton can open up to you like that. She's very lucky.
I am curious about how a game with cardboard cylinders can be dangerous...
They were the indestructable kind of cardboard. They had them laid out on the floor, were running, and landing on them to roll. Davey smacked down so hard on his first try. Terrible.
Post a Comment