
What could possibly be wrong you might ask.
Here's what's wrong.

A simple cute, blue peasant shirt. It's not pink, it doesn't have sparkles, flowers, or disney characters on it (all definite no-no's for her). It's acutally a cute, normal shirt, but it's not her standard T. Therefore, it has no business being in her closet. She decided to make a discard pile of her clothing when she heard we were donating to a rummage sale. This shirt was in it, it's only a few weeks old, never been worn.
I've tried to be cool in this fashion war. I have bit my tongue so many times and honored her wishes. Maybe I was just tired, but this shirt and her crying over me asking her to keep it in her closet was just too much. I wasn't asking her to wear it for gosh sakes, just keep it, just incase. I said "fine" give me the shirt. I told her I'd take it away if she could let me take her picture and post it on my blog. She was thrilled with the exchange. I think she feels that the public will unite behind her cause of never wearing anything but a t-shirt and jeans or shorts. But I'm betting I might get a few more sympathy votes than her. I'm starting to wish fashion troubles on her with her own daughter one day, so she can feel my pain and appreciate how fabulous I was in handling it. It could happen.
BUT, while my dear daughter may hold different fashion sense than myself, may never wear the cute sundresses hanging up in Old Navy right now, or may never wear a styled blouse ever, she does possess something so much better, common sense.

Common sense is such a non-glamorous descriptive in some ways, but really it's pretty freaking awesome. She was chosen by her teacher for the citizenship award for common sense this month at school. They choose a different character trait each month to focus on and choose one student in their class who best represents it. Her teacher described her as a "standout among her peers as a person who exercises good judgement and brings a wonderful attitude to all she does". Am I bragging? Maybe a little bit, but I'm so proud of my baby girl. What more could I want than for Payton to grow up and be able to make good decisions and think things through before taking action?
Fashion sense may come and go over the years, but I'm hoping common sense is here to stay. Rock on with your bad self Payton!
3 comments:
Hey! I recognize that shirt. Love you Payton, no matter what "style" you wear.
Wow, that is a GREAT character trait! Would never want to trade it for a fashionista diva.
when I used to shop with my mom she'd say, "how about this, honey?" And I'd look at it with a teenage sneer and say, "That would look great-on YOU!" Man I was snotty! My poor mother and her Molly Ringwald (in Pretty in Pink) wannabe. How did she get through it? But I'm beginning to know now what she went through!
And you're right...common sense totally wins!
Post a Comment