Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Still Recovering

from my dentist appointment today... As much as I tease Trav about his dentist fears, truthfully I am just as bad, if not worse. I feel like no matter how dedicated I am with brushing, flossing, buying fancy, expensive toothbrushes, etc, I always get bad news when I go for my check ups. I am a ball of nerves going into a visit. Today was the worst. I need SO MUCH work done it is unbelievable. I was laying there listening to the dentist call off all my needed procedures one by one to the hygenist, and it was like the never ending story. I was trying to hold it together, but the anticipation of the discomfort and mounting cost that awaited me was more than I could bare. I lost it, right there in the chair, full tears, red face, so embarrassing.
The dentist was unbelievably sensitive and kind and I have full faith in her and her care which helps. We discussed anti-anxiety med options for me to take before I come in for my work which I think is probably necessary. I got a prescription for special toothepaste that has 5x the flouride of over the counter stuff, awesome. And the cost for my procedures, well, to borrow a word from my father-in-law, it's a dillywhomper. What a day.

I thought I'd remember today as the day I witnessed history being made with our first black president being sworn into office!

But now I will also remember it as the day my mouth imploded and I got my first prescription for xanax. Life can only get better.

4 comments:

La Rodriga said...

You make me laugh, Annette :) I love your honesty. If I had lost it in a dentist chair, I probably wouldn't have the nerve to blog about it, but I love the fact that you did. If I ever get fearful and cry at the dentist, now I know it's okay because I'm not the only one that's done it. I think Rob Mohn would make fun of me, though :)

Erica said...

You are hilarious! Xanex huh, most people would love to join you in that kind of relaxation before seeing that dentist guy. That kills me. How come dentists make so much dough off us anyway.

vanth said...

I took a friend's vicodin before my last teeth cleaning.
Can I also suggest xanax as a wonderful way to not have panic attacks during vacations with one's family of origin?

camelita? said...

This is why I haven't been to the dentist in years. Which, I know, is only making it worse. I need a dentist who will let me cry.