Sunday, May 18, 2008

Shades of Me


More and more I'm seeing bits of myself wrapped up in Payton's personality. Last week I was in the drive through lane for pick up at her school, and there's my girl at the end of the line, her nose buried in a book, oblivious to the world and my waiting car holding up a line of 20 others. She's a reading fanatic. I mentioned that she started reading the Chronicles of Narnia series awhile back, but she dropped it after a few days b/c it was too difficult. She has since picked up the Beverly Cleary chapter books, Romana Quimby, Henry Huggins, etc and she's been devouring them. She read "Henry and the Clubhouse" in one night! I got the reading award in sixth grade myself. Not for a getting a good grade but b/c I was ALWAYS reading in class when I shouldn't have been. I still love reading to this day. There's nothing better than a great story to get lost in.
Payton is also an organizer, coordinator, and director of her brothers. My sister Vicki smirks every time she watches Payton in action b/c she says it was exactly how I was with her and our younger sister Sara. I commonly hear these words drifting from the kids' bedroom from Payton, "Ok guys, here's what we're going to do!" and then some elaborate plans for a fort, game, or decorating scheme follow and the boys eat it up!
It's fun and embarrassing at times to see your kids pick up some of your traits. I can only hope she also picks up Trav's easy going and positive outlook on life to counter balance some of my control freakiness and stress. Let's hope she gets the best of both of us!

No comments: