Thursday, May 1, 2008

Carrying on Family Tradition


I grew up going to the Pinnacles with my dad and sisters every year for long day hikes. It's my Dad's favorite place b/c his grandpa took him and his brothers here when he was little too. Lots of memories. I haven't been in the last nine years till we ventured out on Saturday with my sister Vicki and P and D. Jonah was fighting some nasty allergies and the doctor wanted him inside. My childhood memories of this place are walking switchbacks of dirt in extreme heat with lots of rocks all around. It's SO much more than that! It was like seeing it for the first time. It's truly stunning scenerey. I finally understood why Dad loves it here so much. This picture doesn't do it justice b/c of the shadows.

Dad loved being able to experience the Pinnacles with his grandkids. Payton and Davey ate it up. They saw polywogs, a coyote, lots of wildflowers, climbed tons of rocks, and even went caving. Davey was a champ in the cave. He's three and managed just as well as the rest of us and was holding the flashlight while climbing. I was so impressed with how brave he was!

One of the highlights was the baby rattlesnake we found resting on some rocks. Very impressive and sobering. The kids weren't afraid at all of course, which they SHOULD be.

We left out the switchbacks and the high peaks trail and stuck to the valleys and cool, shady places. Payton never tired of course and Davey almost walked the whole 2hrs we hiked!

But of course he ended up hitching a ride the last 1/2 mile back. I'm so excited Jess sent up a baby sling for me to borrow for walks like this! Davey wants to "hold you" every hike or walk we go on. He's 3 and 1/2 and weighs 85lbs. I sometimes think I'll still be carrying him when he's 10. Of course, he is the baby, so sometimes I don't mind so much that he wants to be held and cuddled. One day he'll declare he's a Big Boy and these days will come to a close.

2 comments:

ThePuertoRicanSlant said...

I honestly cannot be any more proud of you and trav and payton. allowing her to carry the rich tradition of wear Yankee gear has brought a tear to my eye. You are doing well parents of payton, you are doing well...8 MORE DAYS TILL WE COME UP

Sharon Osborne said...

Loved the pics of your hike, Bob was really in his element. Wish I was able to go with you guys. I don't think I would have taken the baby rattler as calmly as you guys did. Love you
Nana Sharon