
Payton had a spirit day at school last Friday, "Twin Day". She was all set with a buddy for awhile and then Thursday when she checked in with her friend, she found out her friend was going to be a "twin" with someone else. Blast! Her heart was broken and she came home pretty deflated. It just totally sucks to watch your kid go through social issues like this. She was a little teary, so I just hugged her and told her I was so sorry.
I tried to rally and problem solve with her, could she be triplets with the other two girls? Anyone else who still needed a twin? What about emailing her teacher and being a twin with him? No she couldn't be a triplet. No, even the boys all had twins too, there was no one left. No, she probably didn't have the same clothes as her teacher so they couldn't be twins either. I had nothing left.
Secretly inside I was thinking, if she wakes up tomorrow and is still upset, I'll keep her home from school. No one should have to be at school and be reminded for seven hours that you didn't have a friend to pair up with when everyone else did. I knew that Trav would disagree, but I was formulating my arguments for why we should protect her from more hurt.
Deep down, I knew it wouldn't be the "best" decision, but it's instinct to protect your child. It's one thing to look back on your own history and see how times of rejection and loneliness were character building and created empathy in yourself. But it's another to see your kid go through it. I want Payton to have all of the character, but none of the pain that builds it.
Of course, Trav came home and said she should go to school. It might suck, but she'll learn from it. It will be ok. I sadly agreed. Before bed, she started crying again about not having a twin, and then her face slowly brightened, and she declared, "Unless I MAKE a twin!" She and Travis immediately started crafting a life sized twin out of cardboard, a girl named "Bob". Don't ask. Payton's whole mood shifted and now she was energized, excited and couldn't wait for school the next day.
When she got out of the car with Bob the following morning she OWNED it. The kids ate it up and she had a great day. I was so proud of my girl. Life had brought her lemons and my reaction for her was retreat, hide, so you don't have to hurt so bad. But she faced it head on and made some pretty kickin' lemonade. I could take a few lessons from her...
6 comments:
Annie this is excellent material for a children's book. Seriously, Payton amazes me. xoxoxoxo
Wow, I could take some lessons from her too. What a creative and brave girl to do something that no one else was and 'own it'. You and Trav are so great at helping your kids navigate reality in this life!
I love Payton's solution. She is seriously going to be one of the leaders of her class. To solve this situation and to do it with flair. What a gal! P.S. Bob is pretty cute:0)
tell us more about "Bob"
GO PAYTON! What a brave girl! I wish I were a bit more like her!
that is awesome...i have no other words, just awesome.
Post a Comment