
Last night I had the kids help me make dinner. I always examine what frame of mind I'm in before inviting the kids into my kitchen. I know that technically I can do things quicker, cleaner, and more precisely. When the kids help, it takes longer, the kitchen's a wreck, and sometimes ingredients are left out. I have to make sure I'm up for all that or else it's no fun for anybody.
Last night I felt good, I felt ready, and it was so awesome to watch the magic of cooking bond my kids. Payton and Jonah were in complete charge of making the cornbread and cupcakes. I didn't have anything to do with it, I was focused on the potato soup. They worked in complete harmony and dinner was actually ready faster with their help. Jonah did decide to plunge his hands into the flour and toss it around a bit, but he ended up sweeping it up himself. No harm, no foul.
They were so proud of their efforts and kept complimenting each other on their great cornbread and cupcakes. It's fun to see what better eaters they are when they are invested in the dinner making process. Throughout the meal they discussed the bakery they're going to open together when they're older, "Payton and Jonah's treats". Davey wanted in on the action so they might go with just initials, "PJ&D's treats".
Later on, Payton said, "You know Mom, I always thought Jonah was annoying. But after cooking with him, I think he's pretty cool!" Seriously, best night ever for me. And I loved having my little buddies in the kitchen with me while I was cooking. I think it's how it's meant to be.
2 comments:
What a sweet post! As a fellow gal who REALLY has a hard time allowing things to just "flow," I'm very impressed with your decision to invite those little helpers into your domain. Kuddos to you!
Makenna made chili last night all by herself. She was beaming proud & we all enjoyed her meal too. I'm sure many more yummy meals prepared by our kiddos are in our futures :)
Post a Comment