Saturday, January 23, 2010

Fourteen Years


Fourteen years of marriage for Trav and I quietly slipped by last week. Gone are the days of celebrating with a big trip away or even an overnight getaway to mark the occasion. Our anniversary now falls during crunch time at the university, we don't have family in town, and finances look different too. So, we celebrated with burgers:). As much as I love to be spoiled, I'm also pretty easy to please. We ate at Dam Burger downtown which I've always wanted to try. My cheeseburger and vanilla malt brought me right back to my Foster Freeze working days as a teenager, sweet times.
I feel very thoughtful over this fourteen year marker in our lives. Last month we were at a lunch with friends and I was watching Trav from across the room when all of a sudden I was overwhelmed with the history I have with this man. That I've known him almost half his life. That when I see him, I still see the young twenty year old that I first met so long ago. I know and have shared in the history, the struggles, the joys of his past that flesh out and make up who he is today. I felt so privelaged in that moment, to realize that I have gotten to be his partner in this life journey together. I get to see all the behind-the-scenes stuff in his life, and he sees mine, and we root for each other and cheer each other on.
We are nearing the halfway mark of our lives. It's so crazy to realize that, but I love that I've walked so much of it with my best friend. We have grown and changed together. He is home for me. Happy anniversary babe, I love you.

2 comments:

Sara Anthony said...

so in this picture, do you have something caught in your eye or is he swooping in for a big smooch? congratulations!

Anonymous said...

ahhh annette! i love you guys and your story so much. such an encouragement to us :)