Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Day After

The day after coming home from a trip is never easy. There's a transition back to reality and the daily rhythm that takes place that is very discombobulating. Trav and I have learned to always plan a "buffer" day inbetween coming home and going back to work/school/dailiness. I see this as an open ended day to unpack, clean out the car, start the laundry, put everything away, basically nest all day. I imagine the kids playing quietly, reading, or maybe even helping in the process. But of course the reality is absolute chaos and noise. Lots and lots of noise. The kids don't want to unpack or clean all day, they want to play!
I always struggle with what I WANT to do with my day, but what is actually POSSIBLE. They rarely match up. So I've been trying to embrace the rhythm that is unfolding and get on board with it rather than fight it. So on this day we chose to play instead of work, and we went for a bike ride on the river trail. It was an AMAZING day.





We came home and napped after with all of our unpacked bags and dirty laundry laying around, no milk in the fridge, etc, etc. We got nothing done, and it looks like none of it will be done till possibly Tuesday, but, as Trav reminded me, it was indeed a good day. I have to consciously choose rest and play over work which is so sad, but I'm always so glad when I do it!

2 comments:

vanth said...

You guys are so cute!

Sara Anthony said...

My motto is, why do the housework today? It's not like the Queen of England is coming over tomorrow...