Sunday, June 14, 2009

Tahoe Baby

To kick off our summer the kids and I headed to Tahoe last week to join my parents and sister. The kids marveled at having yet another hotel pool at the ready for their enjoyment. What luck!
We drove into town in 30 degree weather. I was SO stoked to have a rainy, cold week at the lake, sort of a last blast of winter before the summer heat really hits. I had my beanie, scarf, and puffy jacket all ready. It was awesome. We had rain and even hail but also lots of cold sunshine inbetween. Lucky for us, the pool was indoors, so our swimming was unhampered.
The one bummer is little Davey picked up the Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease going around, so the first four days of our trip I spent caring for him around the clock. It was very awful. He had terrible sores in his mouth that were huge. He couldn't eat, couldn't talk, we could barely get him to drink with a straw, and he cried a lot. It was like having a newborn all over again. I was up with him three nights in a row, trying to comfort him, quiet him down, get him back to sleep. I didn't really get to venture outside the hotel till day 5. Thank goodness for my parents and Vicki who stepped up and entertained my other two for me. As I said before, it takes a village. Yay for family!
Vicki faithfully took Jonah swimming at least once, sometimes twice a day. His love for her is now securely sealed forever.

This one's for you Vicki! Click on it and make it big.

My dad with the kiddos. He loves adventure, hiking, and exploring. Having the kids join in makes it even better, when they're not complaining of course.

These are the falls by Fallen Leaf Lake. They were so massive and pretty! I enjoy these things now with a bit of anxiety. I find it challenging to be a "chill" but careful mom as I watch my kids frolic around without a care. Thankfully, no one was lost to the rapids.

Here's the obligatory picture I take of myself with the kids to show them I indeed was a part of our family vacation. Just incase they ever wonder later on...

2 comments:

Steve, Karen, Delaney, & Jude Dunlap said...

I'm so sorry to hear about little Davey's sickness. That sounds almost unreal. Poor little guy and poor mama! You are such a pro when it comes to dealing with sick kids--I'm calling you when Delaney gets hit with her first cold!

Niana's Mommy said...

We love Fallen Leaf Lake! We thought it was our little vacation away from vacation when we were there a few years ago. We also sat on the chair lift, rented a boat, and dreamed of living there in the winter... only to be rescued by snow machines.