Sunday, June 14, 2009

The 'Rents and Hip Hop

Last weekend we had a full house with both of our parents in town for Payton's dance recital. The kids loved having six adults lavishing attention on them, and I loved having the adult/child ratio being 2/1. It takes a village, and I am totally ready for living on a big family compound! We love both our parents, and we love that they love each other too. They even take vacations together. Without us! We spent lots of time hanging out together, enjoying the amazing weather, going for walks, and catching up. It was a great weekend.
Payton voiced feeling "very special" that both sets of grandparents drove all the way to Redding just to see her hip hop performance.

Jonah hit Papa Greg up first thing in the morning for a Phineas & Ferb viewing, his new favorite cartoon.

My parents with Jonah and some teeny bopper that popped into our house for the day.

We were directed to send our kids to the recital in "street makeup", so I called in the only woman who does it best, my mother. I requested a similar look for myself for my sister's wedding this summer.

When Davey was just about ten months old, Trav's mom declared that he just might be the comedian in the family. It only proves more and more true each year! He thinks he's hilarious, and he is, just like his daddy.

Trav and I went to Payton's evening performance, our first date since April:). The minute she came onto that stage in a cartwheel I was ruined. I cried like a baby her entire dance. She was so poised, beautiful, and so darned cute bustin' her moves up there! I was so proud of her. It overwhelmed me, who would've thought hip hop could make you cry? It's fun watching your kids have fun presenting something they've worked hard at.
We've been most intrigued with her "chest pop" moves and have repeatedly asked for instruction. Here she is giving a demo.

She also taught her bros the chest pop. Trav caught it on video, maybe we can entice a video posting on his blog??

Trav and I enjoying Davey's dance moves. Trav always says our kids provide the best entertainment.

On a "only in Redding" note, we happened upon the Redding Energy Fair down at the Sundial Bridge on one of our walks. It was a pretty cool turn out, but what I loved most was the "Celebrity Dunk Tank" they had going for a charity. A voice came over the loudspeaker announcing, "And next up for the celebrity dunk tank, Paul Clemens, from the solid waste management facility!" I love it. Trav said he makes a donation to him every day!

2 comments:

Old Skool said...

Our family is pretty awesome.

Sara Anthony said...

I'm wondering where you located the material for each piece of Payton's hip hop costume... those are outtasight!