Sunday, February 3, 2008

Field Trip Day



Payton had a field trip on Thursday to see a Peter Rabbit play with her class. She was pumped all week for it and carefully chose this outfit so she could be a little dressy yet still enjoy the playground where they were going after for a picnic. This girl never wears a dress, ever, and she'll never wear tights b/c they "make her legs look weird". And yet, she happily chose this ensemble and proceeded to admire herself in the full length mirror in the bathroom while I did her hair. There's something very sweet and innocent about a child openly admiring themself when she is not yet aware of the stigmas of pride. She had her hands on her hips and side stepped with a little kick back and forth commenting on how grown up she looks and how the outfit made her look taller.
She was on cloud nine all morning and I topped it off by packing a full size Mug Rootbeer in her lunch for her picnic. Everything had to be disposable and rootbeer was all I had. I don't thing she's ever had her own full can of soda to herself in all of her seven years. I am mom of the year now.
We blasted "Field Trip" by the Imagination Movers and sang at the top of our lungs on the drive to school. It was a great final moment of send off before her big day. And then she was gone, my big girl, on a class field trip without me b/c I was working at the pre-school. It is great when you can take a step back and really see your child in the moment and appreciate the unique being that they are. That outfit really did make her look tall and grown up.

1 comment:

escamillaweddings said...

i LOVE the peter rabbit story!

what a great day. :)