Saturday, December 31, 2011

Old Timey Christmas at Shasta

 The kids and I loaded up in the car with Payton' buddy Eric for old timey Christmas activities at Shasta earlier this month.  It was fantastic and all free!  We dutifully made donations of course, this poor park is due to close this next year because of state budget cuts.
 The kids decorated sugar cookies in the back of the bakery and Payton and I sampled sugar plums that were being made by some period costumed volunteers.
 A few Christmas ornaments were made.
 The kids mastered rolling hoops with a stick.

 And I can't remember the name of this game, but it was so fun and quickly became a competition to see how long they could pass the hoop back and forth on the sticks without dropping it.
 You throw the hoop up high in the air by pulling the sticks out fast and then your partner catches it on their sticks.  I seriously want to buy a set.
 We ended the day by making candles over a pot of melted wax.  
It was a great afternoon.  The air was brisk, the kids ate a ton of crap, we toured the courthouse and museum, and we learned new games and crafts.  I love that such adventures are only a twenty minute drive away. 

No comments: