Friday, December 30, 2011

Gingerbread House Making

 I love having annual family traditions because they're such markers for growth in our kids.  We make a Gingerbread House every Christmas, and it's usually a bit chaotic.  It's one of my anticipated but somewhat dreaded activities.  Ideally it should be a fun and joyous expression of creativity, but it tends to digress into fighting over who puts what candies where with icing and candy covering the table and floor.  Decorating the Gingerbread House was something to survive for several years.
 But something magically changed this Christmas.  At ages 11, 9, and 7, the kids worked harmoniously together to create their house.
 They listened to each other's ideas, took turns, and complimented one another on a great placement of candy.
 I didn't need to step in once.  I sat comfortably with a cup of tea and watched the magic unfold.  It was glorious, and I marveled that miracles do happen.
The kids crafted their house start to finish, all by themselves, and had fun doing it.  
It was a very Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Sara Anthony said...

Thanks for the updates Annie, loved them!!