Thursday, April 22, 2010

House Projects

So most of the time I have a ton of "projects" laying around the house that I mean to do, but I feel so overwhelmed thinking about doing them that I'm paralyzed to do anything. Once, I finally DO start them, I always think, "what the heck? Why'd I wait so long to do this?" I've actually got some stuff done over these last few weeks.
I've been meaning to put together a picture wall in our dining room since we moved in last March. A year later here it is. There's lots of holes behind those pictures... My first few tries weren't so great, but I like the finished product.

Our guest bathroom has been a plain Jane this last year as well. Another picture wall was in order. This time it was the kids' art work. I need to buy more frames, b/c there's so many cute pictures they've made that I love seeing up. The kids are so proud to see their work being displayed too, even if it is in the bathroom:).

I love this picture Davey drew of Jesus in his heart. It sums it all up doesn't it?

This is a project that's been staring me down for months as well. Trav built these huge garden boxes for me, and then I realized how much it would cost to fill them with good dirt. The garden got shelved for awhile.

Yay for tax returns! We got our dirt, and it started to take shape.

I've been weeding a ton, we added wood bark around the boxes, and a few plants are growing already. I got a little over zealous and planted my tomatoes and zucchini too early and lost them, but I'm learning.

Thankfully our strawberries are thriving which is the most important to the kids. They run out every day to check their status and can't wait for them to be ready to pick. It's fun to watch their anticipation. I'm hoping it will spill over into the sqash, zucchini, and tomatoes... I can always hope!

My cilantro, parsley, and chives are doing well too. We're planting pumpkins, watermelons, and sunflowers by seed in a week, and I'm replanting the other plants I lost. I can't wait to see how it grows, if it grows! I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm not very patient and thorough at learning new things, I just want to do it already. So here we go, ready or not!

2 comments:

Sara Anthony said...

yay on your garden annie! What a cool way to put food on the table! Have you thought of composting some of your food waste & garden waste so that you could replenish your new dirt next year with nutrients? I love this website to help with my balcony garden www.motherearthnews.com

Lane said...

You are on a roll! I bet that feels great. All your projects look fabulous. Can't wait to see all the produce you get from your garden boxes :)