It's been so unique to now live in the place where Trav and I met, fell in love, and decided to spend the rest of our lives together. We had been gone for twelve years, had three kids and now we're back where it all began. I feel pretty aware of all the significant places pertaining to when we were dating. Caldwell park, Shasta Dam, Whiskeytown Lake, Burney Falls, Burger King, the coffee house that doesn't exist anymore, racquet ball courts at Shasta College, etc etc.
Anyhoo! The kids and I try out a new park about once a week here to find the "funnest" parks around and Peppertree Park was next on the list. Friday afternoon I pull up and I'm confused for a second. I had been there before, why had I been there?
And then it all fell into place.
The night of Spring Banquet, April 9, 1994, the date Trav and I decided to call ourselves "official" (except we decided to claim April 10 since it was after midnight when we said goodnight and April 9, is Trav's b-day. We wanted to spread out celebration days) We went to the banquet with Joel and Elizabeth Walsh (who also got engaged that night!) and for some reason, the four of us thought it would be insanely funny to drive around Redding in our finery and take bizzare pictures. One of our picture spots was this park! I have the photo of me sliding down the poll in my dress and Trav in his suit in our album. Joel also borrowed Trav's purple suit that night. Trav still argues to this day that his suit was "royal blue", but, I'm sorry, the pictures scream purple.
It was so weird to have such a memory sparked for me. I wonder what other hidden gems, reminders of a younger us, I might find laying around here in Redding!
3 comments:
You know Trav stole that Purple suit from Arsenio!
That is such a fun story! I love you guys and miss ya tons!!!
Oh man - I really need to scan some of those photos! The purple suit was the best! And remember the awkward moment after Joel and I kissed under the Mistletoe Lane street sign and then looked expectantly towards you and Travis to do the same? I'm glad you know the date - I had totally forgot it!
Post a Comment