Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Ahhh Chicago

Got back Monday from Chicago! It was awesome, an amazing city, so pretty with the river running through it, huge skyscrapers, ornate buildings, lots of good food, and of course the good company of my sister Vicki. She is a terrific, energetic, and very patient travel partner, I couldn't have asked for better!

We stayed at the Allegro downtown in the Loop and it was such a funky hotel. It's all been recently remodeled and they had house music blaring in the lobby, elevators, and outside the front doors on the sidewalk. It felt like a constant party which is pretty akin to my dailiness here at home. Everytime we'd round the corner outside to get back to our hotel we were greeted with that music and it always felt like "welcome home". Thank you priceline.

This is my poor attempt at catching the river lit up at night. Our first night there was deceptively warm in the high 60's. Everyone was out in light jackets, I was bemoaning the fact I had stuffed my bag to overflowing with winter wear. But Chicago in November was true to form and it was freezing the remaining four days we were there. Rain, snow flurrys, bitter winds, nothing stopped us, we were fearless tourists and embraced it all.

Chicago is very proud of their boy! These banners were up the morning after the election. History being made. We saw the gym where he works out, and it was tempting to take a spin class to see if we'd bump into him.

We walked many neighborhoods with houses looking like these, very picturesque. Vicki fell in love with Wicker Park, she was ready to put down roots.

Macy's unveiled their Christmas windows over the weekend we were in town. Christmas music was playing, we were all bundled, drinking coffee, it all felt very comforting and yet at the same time I was overwhelmed with the wealth all the stores around me portrayed especially this 10 story tall Macy's! I was conflicted.

The "Bean" was probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen. It's massive and just draws you in. The crowds all hover reaching out to touch there warped reflection. My kids would've loved it!

City Landscape in the bean

It only took me about 7 tries to get even this angle right! I'm easily entertained.

Experiencing the Bean

Sue the T-Rex at the Field Museum! I love that Vicki can spend hours in a museum like me. Not everyone can do that happily. It was a beautiful building, the dinosaurs were our favorite.

My biggest regret, not ordering the "Fantasy French Toast" recommended by Rachel Ray at this amazingly quaint Swedish cafe! What was I thinking?? How often does food look like that and taste even better? I foolishly ordered the potato pancakes w/ bacon and cheddar, I get bitter just remembering it. Vicki found us these amazing places to eat! I normally LOVE planning my trips down to the detail, but I happily put in my "must sees" with Vicki and let her work her magic. She did not disappoint! We saw so much and ate such amazing food and I still read three and a half very large books in the process, what a dream! I think since becoming a mom and always being in charge of details for three little ones I was ready to let someone be in charge of me, thank you Vicki for stepping up to the plate!

Crazy art in the parks.

For the kids who are always try to hitch a ride on Trav's feet. I used to do it to my Dad too:).

And yes, I think the highlight was definitely "Dirty Dancing". It was the movie in its entirety on stage, amazing. It was definitely a night for the ladies, the energy was high with squeals and cheers at all the appropriate times. There were a few dutiful boyfriends and husbands in attendance and strangely the guy sitting next to us was WAY into it! He was quoting lines and spent the intermission debating the portrayal of Johnny with us. Such a trip, it was almost like having Trav there.

Now back to reality. I missed my family, you don't realize how connected, how integral they are to your dailiness till you go without for a few days. It was great to receive their welcome home snuggles and smiles. But Chicago was indeed fabulous and I'm so glad we did it!

1 comment:

vanth said...

I couldn't have described it better, Annie. I just hope we're able to make your french toast fantasy come true someday-I hate regrets.