Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Sweet Smell of Spring


The weather has been transformative this week! I am a huge rain lover, but honestly, my spirits have been so lifted with the sunny, warm days we've had.

Davey and I were outside at a Starbucks this week feeling quite hot, even in the shade. I bent down to kiss him on the head and got a whiff of sweet, sweaty boy. Smells are such a strong memory trigger! I was transported back to last summer tucking my boys in each night in the stifling heat. The room always smelled like sweaty boys. To some, this might sound kinda gross. But it's not when it's the honest, clean sweat of some good boy play. Payton doesn't smell like them, it's uniquely boy. Their sweet scent has been missing for several months now as we've been hunkered down in layered clothing braving the cold winter. Kissing Davey's head brought back visions of backyard pool play, bike rides, park dates, lots and lots of rite-aid ice cream, the Redding Aquatic Center, and tucking my sweet tired boys into bed each night.

I love the rain, but now I can't wait for summer!

No comments: