
Last Saturday Payton and I had the house to ourselves for a couple hours while Trav took the boys to basketball practice. Payton is very chill and is completely happy to curl up next to me in bed for hours with a good book. We're kindred spirits that way. However, this morning, as soon as the boys left, she came around the corner with her kids' cookbook, her eyes very bright and hopeful with, "Let's make something mom!"
I sighed inwardly because I knew saying yes meant I didn't get to lay in bed and read in my clean, quiet house. I wanted to say, "not right now Payton, maybe later", my go-to response. But I remembered reading that you should say yes to your kids as much as possible b/c they get told no so much already. So I said yes. Payton lit up and picked out a mudcake.
She made the cake all by herself with much energy and enthusiasm. I had made her day with my simple yes. She exercised her autonomy, prepared a special treat for her brothers, and thought I was the coolest mom in the process. I got a very happy daughter, shared time with her in the kitchen, pride in her enthusiasm, and a delicious chocolate cake I've been eating on the last few days. I could have just as easily said no, but I'm so glad I paused and said yes instead. I got something so much better than quiet reading time in bed. Which, if you know me, is saying a whole lot!
2 comments:
Oh so good to remember the importance of saying yes to my kiddos as much as possible. You are such a good mom!
I'll have to remember this for when Leila's a little older. Just say yes!
Post a Comment