Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Newest Member of the Family

Blazer, the Russian Desert Tortise

Payton LOVES animals and has been dying for a pet of her own for years. Unfortunately for her, both her bros have cat/dog/bird allergies that have prevented us from having one. Secretly, I was TOTALLY ok with this. I loved my one-eyed pug Lucy immensely, but once we started our family, and I got to clean up my own children's poop and pee several times a day, there was nothing in me left to want to clean up a dog's mess as well. I've never looked back.
But Payton is so sweet and earnest in her quest to love animals that I finally caved last spring and told her she could get a Russian Desert Tortise if she saved up all the money for it herself. She worked for seven months straight not spending a dime, and she brought Blazer home on her birthday.

He already has some nicknames as everyone in our family does. Payton calls him Blaze Boy, I call him Blayza, schmoopys, and ugly when Payton's not around. He's sort of creepy folks, that wrinkly skin that folds up and expands like an accordian, his sharp nails, his beady little eyes... But, he is growing on me, we connected this weekend while Payton was out of town and it was up to me to take him out to play. He used to hide in his shell every time I walked in his room, now he pokes his head out and claws at the glass for me to take him out. When I bragged to Trav about our budding relationship he started singing, "There may be something there that wasn't there before..." from Beauty and the Beast. He's just jealous.

I'm really impressed with Payton's care and commitment to him thus far (it's been a week:) When she brought him home and was lifting him out of the travel box to place him in his terrarium he had poop on his butt (gross). She calmly said, "Oh Blazer" and patiently wiped his bottom for him. I was blown away with her calm, cool, collected approach. My girl is growing up, and her little guy is going to fit in quite well with us I think.

2 comments:

Sara Anthony said...

I'm so excited to meet B-Dogg!

vanth said...

Payton was quick to correct me when I called him a turtle. Ooops. I don't even know the difference. I should probably call her.