Friday, September 11, 2009

Gettin' told by my eight year old


So this morning I thought I'd be a cool mom and take the kiddos out to doughnuts before school. I had a walking date with a friend later, so I just kept my sleep shorts on, threw on a shirt and a hat, and went out the door. As we were walking into the doughnut shop Payton stops me with, "Mommmm, you aren't going to wear THOSE in there are you? You don't wear "short" shorts into a store!" She was appalled at my choice of clothing. They're not even that short, but yes, shorter than what I typically wear, but it's supposed to be 104 degrees today. I would happily wear sweats every day of my life, but you adapt to your surroundings.
Perhaps I was defensive b/c of her critique of my thighs a few nights ago. Again, the darned sleep shorts, I'm laying on my belly reading a book, and she starts playing with my thighs, "Oooh, they're so big and squishy!", as she's tracing a spider vein down my leg. I reply with, "Payton! I hope you don't talk to anyone else that way, I mean, whatever if you say that to me, I don't care, but other people might be hurt by talk like that!" She's like, "Oh! I'm sorry Mom, I've just never seen THAT before." (Big emphasis on "that") Little stink.
So coming off of her comments a few days ago, only to have her reprimand me for wearing shorts not long enough was disturbing. Yay for modesty, apparently I have no worries about how she'll be dressing herself later. But it's such a role reversal, to have an eight year old girl monitor what her mother wears, especially when I'm the mother! I consider myself a modest dresser, but her comments this morning give me pause. I'm not sure if the "sleep shorts" will be leaving the house again anytime soon.

3 comments:

Sara Anthony said...

What the heck are "sleep shorts"? Are they AKA boy shorts? :)

Casey Angulo said...

Caleb already has opinions about my clothes. He is embarrassed when I wear tank tops. Hilarious.

lynn said...

You are so good at responding graciously. And I love that you call them 'sleep shorts'. You crack me up.