
"Play that Funky Music" by White Cherry seems to be a consistent theme song to various moments of my life. I love this song, it has to be played loud, and always requires some dancing or at least some vigorous head nodding if you're driving.
Here are my four memories:
1) My wedding. We dedicated this song to my dad at our wedding reception and the whole party danced "the Bob" which is this funky dance my dad has always done ever since I can remember. I can't help but smile at the memory of this crowded, sweaty, happy dance floor giving props to my dad. We loved our reception, I was a terrible host, I think I greeted maybe one guest and stayed on the dance floor the rest of the time. Where is that crazy girl now?
2) Choir Tour with the VCC High School Group. We were on an insane trip covering California from top to bottom in about four days with 40 something kids. We were pulling into Paradise, CA, it was over 100 degrees, the church van was overheating so the heater was on full blast, windows down, White Cherry turned all the way up. Somehow that song made it all bearable, even fun. This is also the same trip we went tubing down the river and almost lost about five kids to the rapids. I was also overturned in my tube and dashed upon some rocks. I pulled myself crying and sniveling out of the water into the arms of my friend Laila. Adam still laughs at the memory of Laila holding me crying on the side of the river. Good times!
3) VCC High School Summer Camp at Alpine. We had a 70's disco party one year, and for some reason I thought it'd be great to wear a nasty gold lame (sp?) dress for the occasion. Obnoxious dancing, loud music, again, my dear friend Laila was there. I cherish my memories with the youth group so much now, I miss them terribly still. At times it overwhelms me.
4) My own three children now love and dance to the song all the time. (picture at the top) I was outside washing my car the other day and came in to White Cherry at full volume and my three kids happily contorting their bodies to the music. Another generation picks up where we left off. Perhaps I shall dance to this song again at their own weddings one day!
4 comments:
I think you should have had a pic of you in the gold dress posted, I can still picture your hair all did up wearing that dress, good times!
annette!
its sara vanni and i just wanted to try to leave you a comment on here haha
i always read your blog. it has helped me tremendously, both in not missing you guys as much and in my walk with jesus.
i just wanted to say hello and hope that all is well : )
i think and pray about you guys constantly.
ok bye!
-sara
annie,
i think i remember that choir tour...i think it's the year i got in trouble for saying booby...even if it is a bird. oh and the year we listened to all together seperate over and over again....ah dex!
miss you lady!
love,
melissa (mace) davis
email me sometime!
melissa_beth22@hotmail.com
One year at Simpson, my girlfriends and I took a way intense kickboxing class. After an hour workout and doing like a zillion Marine-style push-ups, our leader would play this song and we'd dance as if our bodies were fresh again! It worked every week!
Post a Comment