
I'm reading this amazing book by Gary Thomas that I'm learning so much from. Any of you who know us well know that we are struggling with what our future plans might be. Where does God want us? what does he desire for our lives? What's are our next step? It has consummed our thoughts and shadowed our days. We wonder if God is speaking to us or are we not listening well. I read this quote by Augustine from this book that changed my heart. In speaking to God Augustine says,
"The man who serves you best is the one who is less intent on hearing from you what he wills to hear than on shaping his will according to what he hears from you."
Just like that, flip, my heart began to accept this floating place that we find ourselves in. I could feel myself relax into it more, grateful for the peace that comes with accepting the circumstances you find yourself in and not fighting them with everything you've got. I'm finally starting to get it, shape my will around what God has chosen to reveal to me rather than demanding He reveal something different or what's to come next.
I know I will need to continue to learn this lesson, you don't get stuff like this once and then keep it for good, at least I don't. But I'm so grateful to begin to grasp it, to rest in what God has for me today, be attentive to the people and circumstances I find myself in, and leave tomorrow and its decisions to his care and timing.
Yay for Augustine and the wisdom he shared with me today!
1 comment:
I miss you.
Post a Comment