We headed to Portland for two wonderful nights in a fancy hotel with nice soft beds and cleaned up after a week of camping. We stayed at the Avalon located in the South Waterfront district pretty close to downtown. We parked the car and didn't get back in until we left two days later.
Here the boys are riding the MAX train into town. I'm not sure why Davey's giving it a thumbs down, they loved it. Trav got his elbow stuck in the bendy middle section and we weren't sure if he was going to lose it at one point. It was very exciting and somewhat stressful. Thankfully it was released when the train straightened out again:).
Here the boys are riding the MAX train into town. I'm not sure why Davey's giving it a thumbs down, they loved it. Trav got his elbow stuck in the bendy middle section and we weren't sure if he was going to lose it at one point. It was very exciting and somewhat stressful. Thankfully it was released when the train straightened out again:).
We met Mike and Holly for one last hurrah at Hotlips Pizza in the Pearl District. Yummy and cheap, perfect for our family of five. Holly won't steer you wrong in her city.
We then walked down to Cupcake Jones. I'm ALWAYS down for a great cupcake.
Holly and I split a grasshopper cupcake. The big one.
We then walked to Powell's book store which was Payton's Disneyland and mine too. So, so many books. So many possibilities. I snuck back to Powell's on my own the next day with early birthday money to spend. It was a very happy day.
The next day we rode bikes downtown along the waterfront. I was a little nervous on the city street portion.
Once we got to the riverfront path it was perfection. Now we just had to dodge pedestrians.
We found the Saturday Market and the fountains to play in.
We lucked out with 75 degree weather the whole weekend. Payton has never been able to resist an opportunity to get wet.
Drying out on the warm sidewalk.
Downtown Portland is the best place to people watch. We saw break dancers, a random pie fight, people drumming on buckets, someone painted in silver, and other things that I probably shouldn't print here...
True to form, Davey's shirt eventually came off and we got snow cones. Trav and I opted for Stumptown Coffee for our treats.
It's always a good time to practice handstands.
Always.
It was a short visit, but we loved our time here.
1 comment:
you're making me want to take a trip to portland! How was stumptown coffee? I just read about it in a Norwegian magazine, of all places... apparently his business idea is well admired here :)
Post a Comment