She went CRAZY when my mom told them she and Papa would like us all to stay with them in Hawaii. It was almost a full year of anticipation and planning, she counted down every day.
A recurring theme for Payton throughout the trip was everything was "The best!" And I mean everything. First it was our flight over to the island. As we left the plane, Payton told the stewardess, "Thank you and this was THE BEST flight I've ever been on." Her enthusiasm was infectious. The shaved ice was the best, better than Felton's Farmer's Market. The ice cream was the best, better than Maryanne's in Santa Cruz, our favorite. And the art deco clay class with Nana was the best art class she's EVER had. I won't tell any of her art teachers at school.
Payton loves nothing more than a fabulous climbing tree, and Hawaii had "THE BEST" climbing trees ever. She was all over these like a monkey.
She makes it look so easy.
Paddle Boarding with Papa was one of her favorite activities of the week. I love this shot of her. Ten is a pretty awesome age for a girl if you ask me.
We swam in the pool a few times, but spent every day in this salt water lagoon by our hotel. We barely dipped a toe in the ocean. Terrible, I know. But when you have a calm, shallow lagoon vs. crashing waves, this mom prefers the shallow lagoon. I feel like vacationing with kids is all about choosing the least stressful option. It works for us.
The kids got along really well on this trip. They found leaves almost as big as they were on our hike in the Waimea Valley.
Payton was DEEPLY offended that kids under twelve were required to wear a life jacket to swim under the falls in Waimea. She is almost always easygoing, but she finds it very insulting when her abilities are questioned. She refused to go at all at first.
I put on a life jacket to soften the blow to her ego. Little did she know that I never would've let her swim under those pounding falls anyway without one. I was grateful the rule took care of it for me!
A salute to Blazer our desert tortoise back at home.
Here are some distant cousins of his.











1 comment:
She was a joy on this trip, as were the boys also. I think she did play a big part of planning the family trip. I think two weeks and having Daddy over there would have made it just perfect.
Post a Comment