Sunday, June 6, 2010

Rest


Trav and I got some time to ourselves last week in a cabin in Occidental outside of Santa Rosa. In a word it was perfect. We were desperate for some time alone, to be quiet, to have absolutely no demands made of us for a few days, and we got exactly that. Heaven.
Alliance Redwoods gave us a cabin for free for the week, we went to Trader Joe's and loaded up on yummy snacks, treats, and frozen dinners, and desserts that I've always wanted to try. We are pretty easy to please and travel on the cheap, so TJ's was perfect.
We had this lovely stream running right outside our door. We felt like we were back home in Mt. Hermon.

We only had a few things on our agenda, read, sleep, eat, watch movies, and maybe hike and ride our bikes. But only if we felt like it. We went for an awesome hike on our first day that meandered along the ocean.

The sky was bright blue with big fluffy clouds. I'm so glad Trav is a hiker again:)

We ate out at one fun place every day. This is the view from Junelle's Cafe in Guerneville.

Trav had a million books to read for his summer grad classes starting next week, and I also had some very important reading. I'm prepping for June 30. (sigh)

I love this cafe in Occidental called Howard's. They serve their lattes in huge ceramic mugs that require two hands to hold. Why don't all coffee shops serve their drinks in mugs unless you ask for a to go cup? It just tastes better, and it's so much less wasteful...

I love food. My cinnamon roll was amazing and Howard's also makes a Matte Latte which you just can't find anywhere these days. Yum.

This looks like a small chicken, but it's fish and chips made fresh at the local pub in Occidental. Perfection. It may seem overkill to take pictures of the food we ate, but when you serve mac-n-cheese, hotdogs, pizza, and nachos every night at home, real food is pretty freaking awesome.

We thought we were really cute catching our reflection on a bench we were reading on.

After a great week we were ready to come home to our three babies and the chaos that seems to envelope our home. I felt like I was all ready to be relaxed and mello when we got back into our routine, but for some reason I still haven't mastered the art of re-entry after vacay. It's somewhat ugly for me. I think I just feel so desperate to restore order, but no one else around me feels the same way. I've got to get this down some day.

3 comments:

vanth said...

It looks so beautiful, Annie! I'm glad you guys had a good time. Did you finish your book? It looked like some really heavy reading . . .

Sara Anthony said...

it really does look gorgeous & relaxing... what book was it? What is June 30?

lynn said...

WOW! I love that you got to get away...and read your must read (sigh). Sorta jealous - in a good way :) It looked like a great place to be.