Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Happenings

My favorite part of Christmas is the three to four weeks leading up to the big day. I love the preparing, planning, and the anticipation of what's to come. I'm almost sad on Christmas Eve and Day b/c I know that everything is coming to a close very shortly. I can't help it. But here's a summary of our fun times together these last few weeks!
Payton dressed up as Santa and wore it all day at school for a "spirit day". She designed her own beard!

When Payton was two we started making Christmas treats of preztels with a melted on hersey kiss and a m&m on top. She named them "nokos", and that's what we still call them seven years later. The kids make them completely on their own now. I just put them in the oven and take them out.

We've been eating dinner by candlelight lately. It makes it so cozy being together on these dark winter nights. I put candles on during the day when it's dark and stormy out too, and I love how it makes my cold house instantly feel warmer and snug.

Payton and Davey surprised me with an early Christmas gift yesterday. It's a wiseman recipe holder! They were holed up in Payton's room all morning, and I had strict orders to not bother them. They came out proudly bearing their gift. Their sweet guesture made my Christms already!

We've been observing advent together as a family the last three Christmases. My mom brought us this amazing advent candle holder from Sweden this year which we love. The kids enjoy the ceremony of it and lighting the candles, and we've been able to discuss the hope, joy, peace, and comfort that Jesus brings us. It's always interesting to hear their thoughts, sometimes very profound and others a bit crazy. We roll with it, they're all memories and markers of our family.

Sugar Cookies! I set everything out and let the kids have at it. Sprinkles and colored sugar were piled 1/4 inch high, but the kids were thrilled with their creations.


Jonah especially loved the cookie decorating.

Trav whipping up a little homemade eggnog. Vicki was our fearless leader in this. She always has the energy and patience to take on cool projects. I ride her coat tails and enjoy the fruits of her labors.

The kids completed the gingerbread house with no bickering at all. I was so proud of them mixing three different creative thoughts on to one house.

This is why no one should ever pick candy off our gingerbread houses. The kids' noses have been stuck to it ever since they finished it. They claim, "It just smells so good!" I've given them the green light for a free-for-all on it after lunch today.

We've been watching lots of Christmas movies together, and I caught Payton holding Davey like this for most of a movie. It does a mom's heart good to see her kids loving on each other.

And here I am, the morning of Christmas Eve. It's here, which means that it's almost over now. (Sigh)

1 comment:

lynn said...

Awww, I love all those glimpses into your celebrations throughout the month. I'm with you Annette, I love the preparation, anticipation and all the little fun treats, etc leading up to Christmas Day. I too am a little sad that it's all almost over, and I don't look forward to the day after Christmas...or welcoming the new year. The only thing I'm looking forward to in Janurary is a bit more rest (one hopes). Love and miss you! Merry Christmas from the Ingrams!