Monday, July 27, 2009

Re-entry

This is our first day home after a three week vacay filled with visiting friends and family and celebrating my sister's wedding. Redding welcomed us home with open arms and 110 degree weather. It's hard to feel motivated to do anything in this heat so after talking to both my sister Vicki and Trav, I've given myself permission to have a pity party day (for today only, hopefully) as I transition back to real life. I have numerous bags to unpack, groceries to put away (I did manage Trader Joe's today at least), and a lovely stack of bills to pay. I spent most of the afternoon closed up in my room with my zombie book and took a few naps inbetween reading. I finally wandered out of my room and crunched a bunch of goldfish under my feet, the results of letting my children fend for themselves for the shake of the day. I started my unpacking routine of floating around the house picking up items, not really putting them away, but at least shifting their location around the house. I feel like I always need this transition day after being away to get me back into my groove, it's never really a happy day, but it needs to happen.
It's been a pretty emotional ride for me to spend so much time with my family for such an extended period and then have to say goodbye. My sister Sara got married Saturday and it was a truly lovely day. She was beautiful, and my strongest memory of her day is all of us smiling and laughing. I woke up yesterday to say goodbye knowing I won't be seeing her for at least another whole year, that just sucks incredibly. I also left my mum and dad and Vicki not knowing when I get to see them next either. Of course I'll see them much sooner than a year, but I hate leaving without having our next get together on the calendar. We're all busy and have stuff going on...
I have a lot to process and work through to get my head back in the game of dailiness. I know I'll get there, but today I get to sulk. Maybe I'll play my Madonna/JT pandora mix to perk things up a bit.

3 comments:

Steve, Karen, Delaney, & Jude Dunlap said...

Down time after a big event is really crucial for sanity's sake. Steve told me once that Bono's wife makes him stay in a hotel room by himself for a week or so after being on tour so that he can come back home as a dad/husband instead of as a rockstar. So if Bono needs some down time, I say embrace your pity party with pride.

Sarah said...

sulk day is a must! so I'm glad you took it...ahh it sucks to say good-bye to people(especially family) not knowing when you'll see them next...I just did that last week:( But know you and your family were missed! Hope the rest of this week is one of rest and recooperation:)

lynn said...

mmm...sulk away. thinking of you friend.