I don't know about you, but school mornings are UNBEARABLE around here. We had sticker charts going for awhile that they would earn a sticker a day for being ready on time, and when they got to 50 they'd get a day out with mom or dad and $15 to spend. It worked for awhile, but they haven't been inspired by it for awhile and neither have I.
On a whim, I picked up a $1.99 bag of salt water taffy from Trader Joe's this week and put it in a mason jar on the counter. The kids love taffy, I mean, they really love taffy, so I woke them up Wednesday morning and said, "No more sticker charts. If you're ready on time, you can pick a salt water taffy out of the jar." The boys shot out of their beds like rockets and were ready 30 minutes before we had to leave! This was unprecedented in our family. Payton is always ready on time, it's the boys that have struggled.
Davey was ready 20 minutes ahead of schedule both yesterday and today as well. Jonah barely missed the timer yesterday which was unfortunate, but I didn't give in and let him have a taffy. Today he was ready with ten minutes to spare.
Those taffies have totally transformed our school mornings. We're all happy. The kids are ready early and play drums or read books till it's time to go. I'm not hollering from my bathroom telling them to hurry while I'm trying to get myself ready. It's calm, pleasant, and our rides to school are now too.
Now the question is, how long will it last? The way Davey's eyes light up at the taffies, I'm guessing awhile. I'll take it, whatever school morning craziness relief it brings, for however long or short, I'll take it and be grateful.
Salt water taffies people, get some.
3 comments:
I think I'd fit in pretty well in your family. I'm often just a few minutes late, but would do anything for taffy!
I think I'd fit in pretty well in your family. I'm often just a few minutes late, but would do anything for taffy!
I guess it makes sense that the immediate, tangible reward is more inspiring. Taking notes :)
Post a Comment