Sunday, August 14, 2011

A bit of Heaven

These pics are from an amazing day we spent at Short Sands Beach in Oregon with our dear friends the Rodrigos.  It was COLD and drizzly and I was bundled with three layers, a hat, a scarf...you get the picture.  We make it down to the water and within five minutes I see this:  Davey stripped down to his black "undawares", splashing in the surf.  
 My first reaction of course was the sensible Mom one, "But it's too cold!  You'll get sick!  We don't have towels, put your clothes back on!"  Etc Etc  I've been a mom long enough now to know that sometimes my first reaction isn't always the right one.  So I didn't utter any of this.
 Instead I chose to stand back and witness my son's exuberant celebration of being six and playing in God's creation with abandon.  It was beautiful.  The glory of being young, fearless, carefree, LOVING the exhilaration of being cold and a little wet, being fed by it.
 I was impressed with my age and hesitancy at ever going into a lake or ocean when it's cold because it's uncomfortable.  I let comfort dictate too many of my choices, way too many.
Davey's joy painted a small picture of heaven for me.  Not being fearful or hesitant anymore, playing with abandon, feeling alive in cold ocean water, dancing in your black undawares, not having a care in the world...It was beautiful and powerful.  Watching Davey gave me a taste of it, and I tucked it deep inside me so I wouldn't forget.


1 comment:

Sara Anthony said...

Annie, what beautiful pictures!!