Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Grocery Shopping

I used to dread grocery shopping when my three were little. It was a task only to get through, never really to enjoy. I'm only recently coming out of the clouds with this now that my kids are all in school.
Don't get me wrong, we still have our moments. On one of our last Trader Joe's visits I heard screaming from across the store. I recognized the shrill voices of my two boys and raced over to find them at blows over who was next in line at the restroom. I don't know what's more embarrassing, having a potty training two year old have a major accident on aisle five, or having my six and eight year old in a fist fight over a bathroom. All humbling.
I had an interesting shopping visit the other day, this time alone. I try to go alone as much as possible these days:)

2 comments:

La Rodriga said...

How timely....
I just came home exhausted from a trip to Winco...Maddie strapped to my back and Audrey in the cart. We were in there for 2 hours! My checker was so understanding and even helped me bag. I left feeling like...aaah....she understood how I was feeling. It's so refreshing.
Admittedly, I was probably that judging person in the grocery store who just wanted someone to take the screaming child outside...BEFORE I had kids. I have now been humbled many times :)
I so needed to read your article today!

Kari Q. said...

Oh Annette....this article brought me to tears! :) I love, love, love that you spoke up for that mom! It is only because of "lifelines" that I survive Winco! I have had numerous kind, kind women over the last few years help me bag my groceries or speak an encouraging word to me. Every time I walk away all I think is how God provided exactly what I needed in those moments. Knowing I am not alone in the journey! Oh the joys of three under the age of 5 (I honestly wouldn't trade it for anything!).