Tuesday, September 21, 2010

15 hours of craziness

We celebrated Payton's 10th birthday last Friday with a sleepover of eight little girls. Oh my, the energy, giggles, and shrill voices:) It was great fun. Payton loved every minute of it.
She wanted ice cream sundaes instead of a cake. We had the girls make their own, hot fudge and whip cream everywhere. I had to tuck my neat freakishness away for the evening.

I got all the girls contained for about 10 seconds for this photo. They spent the night fabric painting pillowcases and decorating cardboard appliance boxes to sleep in. Payton has loved boxes since she was a baby, and it's been her dream to host a box sleep over. It's lovely to make a dream happen virtually for free. I dumpster dived about three times to get enough boxes. You just gotta own it while you're digging around since everyone's gonna stare at you anyway.

The boys were sequestered in my bedroom with their own boxes to sleep in, phineas and ferb videos playing, and italian sodas. They came out for sundaes and to watch Payton open presents. They were a little indignant when they could hear the girls laughing and staying up later than them. I had to explain several times that boys aren't really allowed at girl sleep overs and vice versa (sp?). Davey insists that he's having a party that Payton won't be allowed to next year.

The boxes all started to collapse on the girls in the middle of the night. We eventually just flattened them and then slept on top.

They woke up impressively perky after only four hours of sleep. I wish I could tap into their energy source.

You gotta have at least one pillow fight at a slumber party.

The girls closed the morning down with playing a game of war, Sweden vs. America, after finding flags from both countries in our toy box. The girls pulled out all our light sabers, blasters, swords, and shields and went at it for over an hour. There were medics for the injured. Streamers were used for bandages and grapes were "knock out" pills for those that couldn't take the pain. I'm not making this up. It was hilarious to watch.
There were prisoners too. I found Davey tied up in a box with bread and water. He tried to smile for this picture when I reminded him he was supposed to be upset to be prisoner.

P, J, and D slept in the boxes one more night after the sleep over for a last blast.

This was the aftermath at 5pm still the next day. I was SO tired, I didn't even care it looked like this.

Trav came home from his retreat and rallied our energies together to put our home back together. Payton must've told me at least 10x over the next few days how much she loved her party. It was so fun, I'm so glad it went well, and I'm a little relieved it's over:). We love our girl, and it was so fun to celebrate her big day.

2 comments:

La Rodriga said...

Wow...you are the "cool mom." I think I felt my anxiety levels rise a little as I saw the mess. Maybe Trav did too when he came home ;-)
Isn't it funny how sleeping in a box can be so much fun as a kid? Maybe Payton envied all of those Mexico overnighters at VCC?
Looks like she had a memorable birthday. Way to gome, mom!

Kari Q. said...

So, so awesome Annette!!!! Payton is one lucky girl! I was hysterically laughing out loud at the recap of the "war" scenerio....Davey the POW, amazing!!!! I will look back to this post for motivation when Emma comes to me some day longing for a sleepover. I also love how much of Trav's h.s. ministry has seeped into your children's lives. The memories live on! :) You are a brave, yet very, very cool mom!